Lava Lake

19 days ago, an article was posted about Hawaii’s Kilauea volcanic eruption created a lava lake.  The volcano had been erupting constantly for almost three decades, from 1983 to 2018. It had stopped producing lava for almost two years now, and many people believed that it was over. Then on December 20th, 2020, the volcano started to produce large amounts of lava for around 11 days.  As of December 31st, 2020, the volcano had ejected over 27 million cubic meters. That is enough to fill over 800 Olympic sized swimming pools! The lava replaced an existing lake with lava lake that is almost 600 feet deep. In 2018, the molten lave flowed through the town, destroying almost 700 homes.

I chose this article because biology really interest me. I like learning about pollution and habitats mostly, but I like volcanoes as well. I think this particular article is also important so we can understand volcanoes better in the future. For example, I didn’t know that a volcano could continue erupting for almost three decades. I also didn’t know that a volcano could spurt out that much lava. That’s what I like about biology. We can use things like these to prevent as much damage from volcanoes in the future, so we will be safer.

QUESTIONS:

• does any animal live on volcanoes, or very close to them?
  • what is the biggest lava lake in the world?
  • do you think that in the future people will be able to go to the center of the earth?

One thought on “Lava Lake

1. Dear Avery,
    I like how you broke down your main idea into two parts. I like how you made one paragraph about when it was, where it was, and about some other stuff that I thought was really interesting. I wonder if anyone died or got injured.

Sincerely Britton